The grand palace of the Prince of Monaco was built in 1215 by the Genoese and has been transformed into one of the most luxurious residences in the world.
Since the end of the 13th century, it has been the stronghold and home of the Grimaldi family who first captured it in 1297. The Grimaldi ruled the area first as feudal lords, and from the 17th century as sovereign princes, but their power was often derived from fragile agreements with their larger and stronger neighbours.
Prince Rainier III is credited restoring the Palace to its former glory and the magnificent state in which it can be seen today. The Hercule Gallery contains frescoes of mythological figures, attributed to Francesco Mazzuchelli dating from the 16th century and to the Genovese artist Orazio Ferrari in the 17th century.
The palace has a large Mirror Gallery, an imitation of Versailles, which gives access to the state apartments, opulent and furnished in period furniture and tapestries. The magnificent Throne Room is where all official ceremonies, such as swearing-in-of-high ranking state officials and some state receptions take place. The Empire-style royal throne rests under a red silk velvet canopy topped by the royal crown.
A must see for any trip to Monaco.
- Public car-park (covered)
- No wheelchair access
- Place du Palais