The Monaco opera house was constructed in 1878 at the demand at the hands of Charles Garnier, who was also responsible for Paris opera house.
It was extensively renovated at the turn of the 21st century and has hosted some of the top names in the opera world. Jewel of the Casino de Monte-Carlo, the Salle Garnier continues to embody the excess and boldness that characterised the building of the Casino de Monte-Carlo.
The hall was inaugurated on 25 January 1879 with a performance by Sarah Bernhardt dressed as a nymph. The first opera performed there was Robert Planquette's Le Chevalier Gaston on 8 February 1879, followed by three additional operas in the first season.
This lavish theatre is home to the Opéra Monte-Carlo. A truly special night out.
- Meeting Spaces
- Place du Casino
More Monaco Insights...
- Get the James Bond treatment in Monaco
- Which Monaco restaurants have a Michelin star in 2020?
- Happy New Year from Monaco!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeMonaco.com
- Monaco in October 2019 - What to see & do
- Hollywood glamour at Monte-Carlo Global Ocean Gala 2019